To scan photos, you have two scanning options: WIA and TWAIN. Scanning photos is easiest using WIA. With this simple scan method, your Epson scanner works seemlessly with ScanSpeeder's photo scanning software.
WIA provides you with ScanSpeeder's: best in the industry auto-detection, auto-splitting, batch scanning, auto-straightening, digitally tagging, and automatically saving photos as both JPEG and TIFF.
If you would like to enhance your photos while scanning, then use the TWAIN scanning method. TWAIN allows ScanSpeeder to work with Epson's Easy Photo Fix to give a powerful assortment of tools to touch up those old photos while you are digitizing them. Unlike WIA, the TWAIN scanning method takes a little setting up, but is still quite simple to use. Let me show you...
Scan Photos with TWAIN - on your Epson Scanner
- Click the Scanner button in Step 1.
- Select a scanner driver with (TWAIN) in the name.
- Check Advanced Mode.
Epson Scan will open. Very important - Change the mode to PROFESSIONAL MODE.
- This mode must be used to allow auto-detection of photos!
In the Epson Scan screen in PROFESSIONAL MODE select:
- Photo, 24-bit Color, 600 dpi
- Use color even for old black and white photos --> 24-bit color gives superior results for both black and white and color photos
- 600 dpi is optimal --> archival quality at a speed quick enough for batch scanning; higher dpi makes scanning multiple photos tediously slow
Preview will now open.
Before you begin scanning, look at the upper left-hand corner. You need to ensure that thumbnails is turned OFF.
1. Select 'Normal' view
Do NOT use Thumbnail view. Auto-detection of photos will NOT occur if you use Thumbnails.
1. You get the opportunity now to enhance your photos! I recommend you play around a bit with all the settings as shown below. Each icon button allows different enhancement tools. The other settings you select will depend on the photos you are scanning. Once you play around with the settings you will get a feel for what each batch of photos needs. Your Epson scanner has some powerful enhancement tools.
- Click PREVIEW to see how each adjustment looks. You can make lots of changes and keep previewing until you like the results.
2. When you are happy with the look of your photos, click SCAN.
ScanSpeeder now takes over. Your photos will be auto-detected, separated, and batch scanned. You will continue using ScanSpeeder as you normally would. For the basics of scanning, please refer to this article. Continue with ScanSpeeder by click the 'Extract Photos' button in Step 2.
In Summary - If you do not need to enhance photos, save yourself effort and time by using the WIA (simple) scan method. If you want to enhance photos, then use TWAIN following the instructions above. If you take anything away from this article, please note that THUMBNAILS must be TURNED OFF to allow ScanSpeeder to auto-detect your photos for you.
Interested in learning more about photo scanning? See Top 10 Photo Scanning Tips. Also see Photo Enhancement with Epson Scanners.