Scan multiple photos and restore them - all at once. With ScanSpeeder's TWAIN advanced scan method, you get the best of both worlds - scan multiple photos and photo enhancement. Canon scanners work with ScanSpeeder together offering Canon's photo restoration and ScanSpeeder's efficiency in scanning multiple photos, digitally tagging them, and splitting them into separate files.
Please note that the available enhancement features may vary with your scanner model and may not be as pictured in this article.
Photo Enhancement with a Canon Scanner
Step 1 - Select TWAIN advanced scan method
- In ScanSpeeder's upper-left corner click on 'File'. Then select 'Select Scan Method', and choose 'TWAIN (advanced method)'.
- Then with two clicks turn OFF thumbnails
- 1) On the far left of the Canon's ScanGear screen, click the icon so the image in the far left is highlighted. This turns OFF thumbnails.
- 2) In the icon shown below with the rectangle and X, ensure the X is not red.
This is the CORRECT setting for using ScanSpeeder and Canon ScanGear together.
IMPORTANT - Do NOT use thumbnails!
If you keep the default settings, when you click SCAN, Canon's software displays the photos as one big blob. This is why you must disable thumbnails such that you allow ScanSpeeder to use it's superior autodetection of photos.
Step 2 - Photo Enhancement Setting Selection
- With the 2 settings in Canon's ScanGear selected as shown below, you are ready to set the photo enhancement features you want.
- Select 'Advanced Mode' in Canon's ScanGear, as shown below.
- In 'Advanced Mode' I recommend you select the following settings, as shown in the screenshot below.
- Output Settings:
- select Output Resolution: 600 dpi
- Image Settings:
- Image Adjustment: Photo
- Unsharp Mask: ON
- other image settings can be set to low, medium, or high depending on the photos you are scanning.
Step 3 - Click the 'Preview' button in the Canon ScanGear
- Click 'Preview' 'in Canon's ScanGear to see the effect of the photo enhancement.
- Here is an example of the photo enhancement with the settings I suggested in step 2.
Step 4 - Scan Photos
Click the 'Scan' button in the Canon ScanGear screen. ScanSpeeder will then scan all the photos and will present you the restored and enhanced photos in the ScanSpeeder software. You will notice that ScanSpeeder automatically detects all the photos!
Step 5 - Automatically Split and Save Restored Photos
In ScanSpeeder's Step 2: Extract Photos, click the 'Extract Photos' button.
To tag your photos with captions, see this article.
To change photo orientation, see this article.
Step 6 - Save Photos
In ScanSpeeder's Step 3: Save Files, save your photos.
- I recommend you save your photos in JEPG and TIFF format. JPEG is a compressed format that is great for posting on social media or emailing. TIFF is a "lossless" format meaning it is excellent for archiving photos. For more great tips on scanning photos, see the Top 10 Photo Scanning Tips.
- This is a great time to think about how you will catalog your photos. With ScanSpeeder's caption feature, you can catalog photos at the same time. See this article to see how.